ACTION REQUESTED - Please Show Your Support for the Duluth Traverse Master Plan
COGGS Members and Supporters,
Next Monday, April 24th, the Duluth Traverse Master Plan will go before City Council for final approval. This council vote comes following a three month public process involving stakeholder engagement, public commenting, and two open houses.
To help see the Duluth Traverse come to fruition, it is imperative that those supportive of the project be heard! The most effective way to demonstrate the community need for the Duluth Traverse master plan (90 page PDF) will be to showcase the positive impact that COGGS and the Duluth Traverse have had on our community thus far.
Below are a few notes we would encourage you to share with your city councilors would help demonstrate the positive impact COGGS and the Duluth Traverse have had on us as individuals and as a community:
1) Share a personal story! Did the Duluth Traverse system encourage you to move to Duluth? Have you or your family seen personal benefit from the presence of readily accessible trails? Has the Duluth Traverse helped give Duluth a more positive image?
2) COGGS presently has over 620 active and paid memberships, a clear indicator that our community has bought into the Duluth Traverse vision and stands behind it.
3) COGGS has raised over $800,000 in private fundraising to support this project, making us the single largest contributor to the Duluth Traverse to date. Thank you to our business sponsors and private donors.
4) In addition to the financial support, COGGS contributes over 5,000 hours of volunteer support to the Duluth Traverse annually. Given the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimate of volunteer time being valued roughly $23/hour, this equates to an additional $115,000 annual contribution by COGGS volunteers. We will remain committed to this project long after its completion and will continue to make contributions, both financially and through volunteer support.
The passing of this master plan next Monday is critical to the short and long-term desires of COGGS to continue to build Duluth's reputation as an outdoor community. We encourage you to please show your support in the following ways:
1) Contact your city councilors by email this week. For a listing of city councilors and their contact information, please follow this link.
Share with your city councilors what the Duluth Traverse means to you!
2) Attend next Monday's city council meeting and be counted and represented as an advocate for the Duluth Traverse. The meeting begins at 7:00 PM in the council chambers on the 3rd floor of city hall at (411 W 1st Street).
Thank you, and we look forward to having your support over the next week.